Monday, May 25, 2009

Faux Flowers


I know there are some who may accuse me of blasphemy, but I have actually been heavily researching and considering using silk flowers for many of my centerpieces and decorations.

GASP.

Yes, yes, call me crazy but I'm simply not sure if having real flowers would be worth the work and effort of maintaining them and keeping them fresh as the day goes on. Using all fresh flowers would mean that I would either have to purchase them from a florist (with an average cost of $100-300 per bouquet and $750 per large piece... yikes!), or seriously abuse my friendships the night before the wedding.

Apparently for my sister's wedding, there was just SO MUCH labor involved with the flowers (beautiful as they were), that my parents feel like a DIY endeavor and attitude would just not be worth it. As far as discussion with them goes, they seem to be more a fan of hiring help for this. However, I still can not mentally relax my tight fist and let so much money just slide across the table for flowers that will be wilting within the week, provided they even last the entire summer day.

So my perfect compromise? Silk flowers. Not only can my creative minds (namely, Beth harhar) and I complete the centerpieces and larger creations a few weeks or even a month before the wedding, well before the typical "pre-wedding stress" kicks in, I can also have a number of masterpieces that I can either save or take apart and keep for the years to come for my own home-decorating endeavors. In addition, since I have had close to zero experience working with flowers, I can also take my time in experimenting with them beforehand.

One thing that I had been worried about was the fact that they would be FAKE. Sure, it's silk, but it's still FAKE. Nothing can really compare to the soft, delicate feel of a petal personally hand-crafted by God, can it? Well, I suppose not, but in pictures I've been looking at of weddings with faux flower centerpieces (such as the one above), it's fairly difficult to decipher whether the flower's birthplace was in a factory or in a garden.

And, don't worry. The bouquets and boutinierres will still be as real as ever :)

1 comment:

  1. hey mo! not that my vote will sway you toward one side over the other, but i support your silk flower decision, if you decide to go for it. i have heard that quality flower arrangements cost exorbitant amounts, and i love that you're doing the best you can to have your friends enjoy and celebrate with you without pulling an all-nighter before the day of the ceremony...

    oh, and, congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete